Thread: Imagur Basics

Imagur Basics

BASICS & EDITING PICTURES

Imagur is a free internet program to edit and post your pictures.

https://imgur.com/

If you don't want others to see your pictures, don't post them to the gallery, just keep them in your images file.(SEE my post HIDING IMAGES)

After creating an account, hover your mouse over your username on the right side. you will see a drop down menu. Click images to goto your images

This will bring you to your images

EDIT> To edit a picture, hover over the picture and you will see a pen icon and a garbage can. To edit, click the pen. Then hit the edit button.

DELETE> To delete hit the garbage can, then click the delete button.

Once you select a picture to edit, there are several things you can do. Resize, crop, rotate.

TO RESIZE> highlight the proportions on the right,> highlight and backspace. Fill in the number you want. If you use 800x ### it will work on about any forum. You only need to fill in the first number and it will automatically adjust the second number.

**MAKE SURE TO HIT SAVE AFTER EDITING** If you screw up while editing, you can RESET or back page.(as long as you haven't hit save button)**

**Once you enter the new number and hit enter, there is no need to apply. The image will already be the new size and you can just hit SAVE.**

In the example picture below, the picture has already been changed from original size to 621x600.

Last edited by dav2no1; 12-03-2017 at 05:27 PM.
    Know guns, know peace and safety. No guns, no peace nor safety

Re: Imagur Basics

ADDING IMAGES FROM COMPUTER

Adding images from your computer is easy. Click on the ADD IMAGES tab. Then you can browse or drag and drop. I prefer to browse for my images.

Either browse or drag and drop.

While the image is uploading you will see a small progress bar move from left to right just under the header. Once that bar reaches all the way to the right, you will be returned to your images and will see the new picture at the top left.

Last edited by dav2no1; 12-02-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Excellent tutorial Dave!! Thank you for that.

Personally, I have taken to imgbb.com for free hosting of my images and have found it very user friendly and very easy to learn.

ADDITIONAL EDITING

If you need to rotate a picture. Follow the edit steps. Once in the editor you will see tabs at the top.

Crop/Resize - Rotate - Advanced - Save

Hitting Rotate will bring up 4 images from different sides. Click on the one you want and SAVE. You will notice the picture you clicked has a check mark, before you save.

Once you have edited your pictures, MAKE SURE TO SAVE CHANGES! This will now take you back to your images. Click on the picture you want to open.

To add the edited picture to your post or ad, just right click and copy. Then paste it into your ad or post.

Last edited by dav2no1; 12-02-2017 at 10:53 PM.

HOW TO CROP & ADVANCED TAB

To CROP a picture. You can simply hold the right mouse button and make a box around whatever image you want to crop.

Once you let go of the mouse button, you will get a box like in the picture.

You can now manipulate the box(make it bigger, smaller, wider, etc.). If you are not happy with what you have, simply double click to the side and the picture will reset. You can also hit RESET button as well.

If you are happy with the crop, hit APPLY button. You will now see your new cropped image. If you are happy with this new image, then hit SAVE button.

If you are not happy, then RESET button will restore the image. Remember you can also back page without saving any mistakes as long as you didn't save anything.

Often times cropping takes a few tries to get what you want. I found resizing before cropping is better. Sometimes when you crop it takes more than you want.

The ADVANCED button will bring you to a new screen that has many different options. You can explore these on your own. I rarely use this function.

Last edited by dav2no1; 12-02-2017 at 10:56 PM.

HIDING YOUR IMAGES

The first thing after you create an account, you will want to hide your pictures from the public view. You know what happens when an honest citizen starts posting their gun pics.

Or maybe you are one of those people that want to share every damn picture you ever took with everyone. Even the people that don't care about your stupid pictures? Either way this will show you how.

It's easy to hide your images from others.

Hover on your username to the right until the drop down menu appears.>Click SETTINGS.

Now you will see your account page. Under DEFAULT ALBUM PRIVACY tab you will see 2 options: HIDDEN & PUBLIC.
    To hide your pictures obviously pick HIDDEN.

Last edited by dav2no1; 12-02-2017 at 10:59 PM.

Additional Tips

When creating a post or ad that will have a picture in it, sometimes the picture gets in the way of adding additional text. I get around this by adding a text line a few spaces below before adding my picture.

Now I can add additional text easily below the picture. Also add a space before and after the picture and between your text. This will make it more readable. Remember to remove any extra text you used.

You can also add a space between pictures if you have more than one in a post. This will make it more readable and not look like it's overlapping.

I have just over 100 pictures in my images and don't experience any problems. Not sure what the maximum amount you can have is?

**Imagur Support claims that space is unlimited**

** So I wasn't as smart as I thought! It seems you have to keep pictures in your images if you post them to a forum. I'm not sure if they changed the program or if I was incorrect about this the whole time? Waiting for their reply.**

***From Imagur support: "When you delete the images from your Imgur account, it will also delete them from your thread. Imgur uses live hotlinking; not static, therefore the images need to be on your account."***
    Last edited by dav2no1; 12-07-2017 at 09:59 AM.

weird for some reasons, I couldn't see the pictures on my phone, but they show up fine on my laptop? let me know of others are having this problem or its just my phone. Never seen that one before.

EDIT** See previous post edit for explanation**
    Last edited by dav2no1; 12-02-2017 at 11:12 PM.

Kirkland. All future transactions will occur before 12/4/2014

Only some of your pictures show up on my screen

Yeah looks like they changed something.since I posted to the forum then deleted the pics, they are gone. Didn't have this issue before. Fixing it now

EDIT:
    ** So I wasn't as smart as I thought! It seems you have to keep pictures in your images if you post them to a forum. I'm not sure if they changed the program or if I was incorrect about this the whole time? Waiting for their reply.**
    Last edited by dav2no1; 12-02-2017 at 11:03 PM.